This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I like to send my son a goodie box every couple weeks. I know he has a microwave/refrigerator in his room and that he does go off base just about every weekend so I guess could go buy what he wants, but I enjoy doing it. Any suggestions of things to send? I do send some snack items but don't want to overdo it and have him having to do extra PT - what are some things you all have sent to your sailors that they have enjoyed? Melody

Views: 193

Replies to This Discussion

Maegan - thanks both good ideas. He recently told me his roommate just bought a tv, but they are sharing the cost of cable. I laughted when you mentioned the t-shirts. Just before PIR his division got to go to the NEX and he said he bought new t-shirts because the ones they issued were rough and already starting to fray. He told us he "saved" one new one back to wear at PIR so it would have a new neck. I will be be making a Walmart stop this week end. Melody
We took our son a really nice t that was on sale at Penny's. He could not wait to change into it during PIR weekend.
Hi!
We too like to send our son a care package and this is what we have sent:
The first box had
2 microwavable ceramic mugs
1 insulated mug
measuring cup and spoons (he likes the measuring cup that comes like the spoons rather than a large cup because it is easier to store)

Now for the reason that he needed those things:
Progresso soup (no need for can openers - warm up in mug)
easy mac and cheese
cambell soup (individual servings)
tea
hot chocolate
individual microwave cakes (not like real cake but real good)
crackers
cheese
pepperoni
stick sausage
tuna fish and salmon (in the foil packages)
popcorn
dinty moore stew
hot sauce (He is Texan born and raised. LOL)
etc.
I tried to make it possible for him to eat some what real food in his room especially for after a long night studying.

I have also sent pictures in frames. A warm soft fleece blanket. Paperbacks, magazines and funny cards. His favorite body soap, shampoo and sunblock. (Oh, learn from my experience - Never mix soap, etc with food. It is bad!)
Next month we will be sending him a trick or treat bag. Don't forget that it is going to be getting cooler there soon and they can wear their civies so send them their jackets, caps, warm shirts, etc...

I know you are thinking that it must cost almost as much to mail this stuff as it does to buy it but... You can get (for free on the USPS website or post office) delivered to your house flat rate boxes. There are military packages but make sure you get the ones that are not APO/FPO as those are for overseas. You can mail up to 70 pounds in one of those boxes. You can also save money by buying the postage on the USPS website and you can even schedule a pick up at your home so you do not have to go to the post office. You do not have to be home to do this. I leave mine in a special place on my front porch.
It is great to get the call "I got a package!!!"

I hope this helps.
Marie
Stupendous! I know he went shopping a couple of Saturdays ago for clothes, since most of his stuff was machinist uniforms from college. I'll go "shopping" in my pampered chef extras for the microwave things.
Thanks for reminding me about Halloween!!!!
Marie - You have some good ideas. I have sent some of the things you listed but hadn't thought of some. I was already thinking about the Halloween package. He said they have been watching the college football games so I was going to send a box with some snack food for that. Also - in the first box I sent I took one of the plastic school boxes and made a first aid kit with bandaids, ointment, ibuprofen, immodium, cough drops, sewing kit - nothing major but things Moms would normally have. I kept it small because I did not know how much room he had. I have had really good luck with the stuff I have sent - some I sent priority USPS (I have the boxes) and two I have send UPS. For me, the UPS is cheaper and he gets it in two days (if he gets to the mail room before they close). Thanks for all the good hints - I will get a box off this weekend. Melody
Long time sailor here ... one of my friends sent me a care package to Japan ... she put in glass bottles of dressing and didn't pad them! The post office handed me a very soaked box in a plastic bag. LOL. They were not amused.

TIP: for any kind of liquid or gel, or any potentially messy food, put it in a sturdy zip-lock style bag before you pack it. Squeeze out the air and seal it tight. That way if the bottle or jar breaks or the lid pops off due to altitude changes or rough handling during shipping, the mess will be contained in one bag and not spread all over the other items in the package. Use bubble wrap or shredded paper for delicate items, even one you don't think are delicate! This will be a good habit once your sailor is assigned shipboard; packages go through a very rough time getting to their destinations at sea!
The one complaint that I have heard from my son and his buddies is that it is not fun to be hungry and have no kitchen to raid. They just do not think to stock up while they are out and it is not as easy as you think. They have no place to really cook. It has to be microwavable and not taste horrible. LOL
I forgot to list the most basic staple: peanut butter and jelly! haha
Don't sent to many things that require cleaning because they spend so much time during the week in school and studying. They really just want to eat and sleep and on the weekends they just want to go play. They also have limit storage - so keep that in mind. I also like to send at least 2 of every thing as they share their rooms.
I keep a box in the kitchen ready to go and fill it as I go. Our whole family has fun filling the boxes. We scout out the grocery store and Walmart for things that we think he might like. I know that my son and his room mate watch for their boxes because I did not mail one about 2 weeks ago and they called to see if it was lost in the mail. They are too funny!
Marie
Can't wait for your sailor to receive his Navy cap!
I have a box in his bedroom that I keep putting things in and then when I get it filled send it. He did tell me to not send too many sweets as he has to watch his weight. I have thought about sending some wraps as they tend to stay fresh quite a while. I'm like you - I am always on the lookout for something different or that I think he would like. I'm in the mood now. One of the first boxes sent had a good frisbee, hacky sack and deck of Uno cards. I do send a Subway card occasionally as I know he is a frequent visitor there. Thanks again. Melody
Last Christmas my sailor was in Power school. I asked him for names and addresses of some guys that couldn't go home for Christmas. He gave me 3 names and my husband and I went shopping. We got some candy from Trader Joes, chocolate CDs, cookies etc. and sent them off. Our son let us know that they were really appreciated. One guy in particular was so surprised that someone he didn't know would send him something. He rationed it out and made it last a long time. We were so glad that we did that. Something to consider for this Christmas.
Hi There! New Nuke Mom here. My son has been at Goose Creek for about a week now and is requesting cookies. Does anyone out there have experience packing and shipping homemade cookies? Is there a best way to pack them? What's the least expensive way to ship? I'm planning to ship about 5 dozen (I'm sure my son has made a few friends by now or at least will when the cookies arrive!:-) Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Most moms said to pack two to a wrap--back to back together. Otherwise, if you have any pringles chips cans, those help them from getting broken. Cushion with some bubble wrap (packages get roughly handled) or some unsalted/non buttered popcorn.
Cookie bars also travel well.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service